Monday, January 02, 2006

Fuck yeah!

OMG. So, after publicly declaring that I was going to do The Artist's Way, I awoke the next morning and the FIRST thought I had was WTF was I thinking! I simply cannot add one more thing to my day. Especially morning pages! Not only have I announced my commitment to the blogosphere, I've launched a recruiting effort. There's no going back. I'm screwed.

On top of that, I could not find my copy of The Artist's Way. I've had the book for many years. I think I got it sometime in the mid-90s, when my life was so different I might as well have been another person. I had no attachments. I barely had expenses; I think I paid $236/month in rent. I had oodles of time to devote to an intensive writing program, though I didn't realize it then. Silly girl.

This morning I was determined to find the book. I can't purchase another copy - I'm that broke. So I went spelunking in the mammoth third-floor closet. I dug and dug and dug and dug some more and finally, in the farthest corner of the closet, buried under a bunch of crap was a box of books and in it was The Artist's Way.

I had a considerable rush over this. I'm psyched that I found the book and delighted over the metaphor of it all: that this wonderful tool I've had for so long was buried away and I went searching for it, not stopping until I recovered it, that I overcame my usual apathy to inititate the search and follow through with my stated intention, that I discovered my deep desire (obscured by laziness and scarcity) to unearth my creative flow, and that I actually found what I was looking for in a pile of old shit.

I was having an inner debate about how to do the morning pages. At first I thought I would prefer to blog them, since for some reason this medium really calls to me. I was sort of preparing to defend myself (against whom!?) because I seem to recall that Julia insists the MP be handwritten. So I reconsidered and decided to do them longhand, a) because no one wants to read my MP, b) making them public would kick up the volume on my Inner Critic and the writing would likely be hyper-edited and inauthentic, defeating the purpose and c) because since I got my laptop last December, I have pretty much abandoned pen and paper. And we used to be so close. So it will be good for me to use some of the blank paper I have sitting around just waiting to spontaneously combust.

Disclaimer: I am not going to pay TOO much attention to spelling/grammar in this endeavor. This will be very hard for me. But I just want the writing to flow without getting too hung up on mechanics. I must remind myself that technical errors and bad form can ALWAYS be corrected later.

Okay. Time to read the first 24 pages.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, what a wonderful metaphor finding that book deeply buried in the closet. I'm so excited to have you along for the journey.

by the way, that picture of you is gorgeous!

Teri said...

Aw thanks! I am so glad to be here.

And thanks again - I was on my honeymoon in this photo. I think it was taken in Rockport, MA after a really good breakfast.

Helen said...

You go! The first time I did AW was in 1998 when I was living in this little shanty in Santa Monica, renting a garage loft from this guy, kind of a creepy place actually. I remember being STRAIGHT UP pissed OFF about the morning pages! I made "cranky in the morning" look like apple pie. I am groggy, NOT happy to be alive and unable to make my thoughts work. I would set my alarm 30 minutes early and force myself to write. Those first few weeks were "I'm so freaking tired I'm so freaking tired I'm exhausted I can't keep my eyes open", etc. However, that habit stuck and to this day I faithfully write every morning. Probably 1/8 days I'm so busy I write one sentance like "sorry, no time to write today, but I am with you". Still, it's become such a pattern, such a habit that everyone around me knows that I need it. It's like a morning meditation, a clearly, and it's so so powerful.

I'll be with you on your journey!
I've done the book twice all the way through now. I think I need to pick up Artist's dates again.

Helen

Teri said...

Yee haw!

Anonymous said...

oh, i love rockport! i worked for a few years in gloucester and i loved being on the ocean.

Kristine said...

I smiled as I read this. In fact there is still a litle smirk on my face. I don't know how many times I have declared that I was going to do something only to wake up the next day and say, " What was I thinking?!"
I too am in the AW group and although I have done this book before I am excited to do it with a group of people.
So, down this crazy path we both go...

Teri said...

Thanks! Wonderful to be in such good company...

eliza said...

"fuck yeah"? FUCK yeah. Fuckin' a.

Anonymous said...

We're all in it together! I love the metaphor of your search for the book and how it parallels life. I wrote a post a few days ago about my resistance to the morning pages. I've dispensed with the rebellion by just saying I'll write them if I want and won't if I don't and not let this distract me from the rest. Maybe I'll psych myself out and into doing them! So glad you're in for this. If we don't make time to nurture our creativity, there will never *be* time for it.

Anonymous said...

I am also inordinately charmed by that photo of you. How could I not want to 'get to know you' with a photo like that? And I've hopped over to your other blog and must say that I adore your daughter's name.

I think we've all experienced a bit of that 'what did I get myself into' feeling with Artist's Way. I can't wait to reconnect myself with a pen and paper - it's been too long! I've bought new legal pads to help me along the way. I'm so excited to be a part of the journey with YOU and so many other rockin' women!

Teri said...

Right back atcha, sam! :)